Sunday, February 22, 2015

Snow, snow, and more snow in Connecticut

We made it!  We're now New Englanders.  Gina flew out with us and stayed for a few days to help us settle in.  After a few hiccups, like driving in a snowstorm and running out of oil (heat), we got on track by day 2 and got almost everything unpacked (confession: Gina did 90% of it) and the girls just loved running around their new big house and playing in/with boxes.  After 3 weeks here, we haven't done that much because it's been one snowstorm after another.  We're on track to break records for the most snow and the coldest days on record for February.  We can't exactly walk around town when there are 3 feet snow banks and it's in temperatures so low that it hurts your face just to walk to the mailbox.  Our sinuses are confused because it's so dry.  We go through a box of tissues every few days and Glen & I are both on antibiotics for sinus infections.

Now I sound like I'm complaining, but remember snow when you were a kid?  When it does warm up a bit, to you know, 25 degrees or more, we play in the snow a lot.  Glen has a snow blower for the driveway, which makes a nice bank on the side for Claudia to sled down, and she just loves every minute.  The white covering over everything gives this place a quiet, peaceful feeling.  We're in a somewhat small town of 30,000 people and people here are super nice.  It's mostly young families and grandmas & grandpas.  So it's not exactly "happening"; there are no bars or trendy restaurants.  Cheshire is known as some of the best schools in the state, and even though we don't have much here (two Subways, three Dunkin Doughnuts, and a McDonalds), we are one town away from cities with malls and more diverse options.  And we will never be without pizza or Italian food, there is a restaurant every few blocks, everywhere!

Update on the girls.  Claudia starts her new school tomorrow.  She officially loves snow, can tolerate cold way better than I thought she could, and now that she's (somewhat) allowed to, loves screaming and making all kind of loud noises.  She loves to put in the Adele "21" CD on a high volume and sing along (out of key and with the wrong words).  It makes her happy and Teagan usually tolerates it and sometimes sings along too.  She is your typical almost-6 year old who swings between loveable and then surly, but she is so much happier being out here with more space and her daddy too.  I know it will hit her at some point that she misses her extended family and friends in Seattle, but for now, she's just enjoying the moment and I'm going to let her.  Teagan has just transformed in leaps and bounds.  It's hard to express in details, but her language, understanding, and humor are just on super-speed.  I will try to think of some fun anecdotes to add later.

Lastly, some sad news.  My Auntie Pam passed away on February 6th, just a few days after we moved.  She was my only aunt and I loved her very much.  She was a daycare provider most of her life, and enjoyed sewing, crafts, and collecting & selling antiques and collectibles.  She was thrilled with the birth of her first grand-niece Claudia, but connected most with her second, Teagan.  It makes me sad to think that Teagan will not remember her, because they had such an ease with one another.  She has given me some unique gifts over the years, some really thoughtful and memorable, and others just odd.  But, as I'm unpacking, I see all the things she's given my girls and it warms my heart.  She gave us toys and books that she saved from decades ago, as well as hand-sewn items that I will always treasure.  And, she is just my aunt.  She also leaves behind her sister, mom, son, and husband who I'm sure hurt 10x more than I do.  Please keep them in your prayers.  Cancer sucks.

On a lighter note, here are some photos of the SNOW!














Auntie Pam with Teagan as a baby.

Always happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment